Saturday, March 20, 2010

A Trekking Journal

November 12, 1997

Today (be) is the second day of my trek around Mount Annapurna. I am exhausted and my legs (shake) are shaking ; I just hope I am able to complete the trek. My feet (kill, really) are really killing me and my toes (bleed) are bleeding, but I (want, still) still want to continue.

Nepal is a fascinating country, but I have a great deal to learn. Everything (be) is so different, and I (try) am trying to adapt to the new way of life here. I (learn) am learning a little bit of the language to make communication easier; unfortunately, I (learn, not) do not learn foreign languages quickly. Although I (understand, not) do not understand much yet, I believe that I (improve, gradually) am gradually improving.

I (travel, currently) am currently traveling with Liam, a student from Leeds University in England. He (be) is a nice guy, but impatient. He (walk, always) is always walking ahead of me and (complain) complaining that I am too slow. I (do) am doing my best to keep up with him, but he is younger and stronger than I am. Maybe, I am just feeling sorry for myself because I am getting old.

Right now, Liam (sit) is sitting with the owner of the inn. They (discuss) are discussing the differences between life in England and life in Nepal. I (know, not) do not know the real name of the owner, but everybody (call, just) just calls him Tam. Tam (speak) speaks English very well and he (try) is trying to teach Liam some words in Nepali. Every time Tam (say) says a new word, Liam (try) tries to repeat it. Unfortunately, Liam (seem, also) also seems to have difficulty learning foreign languages. I just hope we don't get lost and have to ask for directions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment